A. Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
B. Hanging Gardens of Babylon
C. Lighthouse of Alexandria
D. Colossus of Rhodes
2. What is the name of the king that made Valentine's Day a national holiday in England?
A. Henry VIII
B. Henry VII
C. Edward VI
D. Richard III
3. Who wrote "Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all?"
4. The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives approximately how many letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine's Day?
B. 10, 000
D. Claudius II
6. How many saints named Valentine are officially recognized by the Catholic Church?
7. Which pope declared February 14 as Valentine's Day?
A. Pope Pius XI
B. Pope Gelasius I
C. Pope John Paul II
D. Pope Gregory I
8. The British Library in London displays a love poem that is considered to be the oldest and earliest record of a Valentine. Who wrote it?
A. Napoleon Bonaparte
B. John Keats
C. Charles, Duke of Orleans
D. William Shakespeare
9. Which book was published in 1797 to help British men write verses of love and affection for Valentine's Day?
A. The Young Man's Valentine Writer
B. Poems and Prose for the Gentleman Scribe
C. Inspired Verses for Your Valentine
D. How to Write Love Notes for Dummies
10. Which woman mass-produced the first Valentine's Day cards in America?
A. Louisa May Alcott
B. Isabella Mary Beeton
C. Esther Allen Howland
D. Ann Radcliffe
A. A Winter's Tale
C. Romeo and Juliet
12. How did the "X" in "XOXO" come to represent a kiss?
A. When pirates found a treasure map, they would kiss the "X" that marked the spot for good luck.
B. When people couldn't write their names, they would sign an "X" and then kiss it in good faith.
C. Young girls used to write "Mrs. X" and then kiss the "X" when dreaming of their future husbands.
D. To "seal the kiss" and the marriage vow between a couple he married, St. Valentine would mark an "X" in the ground.
13. Which country does NOT celebrate Valentine's Day?
14. On what date did the St. Valentine's Day Massacre occur?
A. February 14, 1930
B. February 1, 1925
C. February 14, 1922
D. February 14, 1929
1. B - Hanging Gardens of Babylon
2. A - Henry VIII
3. C - Tennyson
4. A - 1,000
5. D - Claudius II
6. B - 3
7. B - Pope Gelasius I
8. C - Charles, Duke of Orleans
9. A - The Young Man's Valentine Writer
10. C - Esther Allen Howland
11. D - Hamlet
12. B - When people couldn't write their names, they would sign an "X" and then kiss it in good faith.
13. C - Greece
14. D - February 14, 1929
Your Lake of the Ozarks mortgage lender wishes you a Happy Valentine's Day! If you and that special someone are in need of a home loan at the Lake of the Ozarks or are interested in refinancing, feel free to give me a call at 573-746-7211.
For Lake area news, resources and tips on financial services, please
Sr. Residential Mortgage Lender
NMLS #: 493712
2265 Bagnell Dam Blvd, Suite B
PO Box 1449
Lake Ozark, MO 65049